Friday, December 07, 2007

Candlemaking

Brrrrr......it is cold here!!!

Yesterday and today I have been working on making candles. Occasionally I have to take a break from making soap and creating candles is a challange. Candlemaking is much more difficult than soapmaking....it is not just a matter of melting the wax and sticking in a wick. There are so many variables....the wax, the size of the candle or container and the fragrance. Even the wax can vary from batch to batch. So a lot of testing is required. Soapmaking is pure chemistry although the wicked soap fairies can mess up a batch for no reason at any given time!

I really like making soy candles. Cedar and Saffron is my absolute favorite.....the scent is just so unusual and refreshing. My girls like Pink Sugar and strangely enough, eucalyptus! The have a eucalyptus soy jar that sits under their lamp...they don't burn it but the warmed of the lamp is enough to release the scent.

The newest soy candle?? Scent of a Lutheran! A pure white soy candle in a 8oz square mason jar. Scented with buttercream. I got the idea from another candlemaker at a show I did awhile back....she did Scent of Lutefisk...so I thought, why not Scent of a Lutheran! It has been selling very well!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home